Saturday, July 3, 2010

Blogger: Fiz, Nancy, Alex, Emily, Curtis

Student: Fiz
School: Sir Winston Churchill

From where I sit I can see the Mekong Delta, tiny waves splashing in the wake of the various boats. It seems that there is a boat for everything here; fish, bananas, people. The water is a diverse source of livelyhood for the locals and they seem to embrace it.
The one thing I have come to love most about Vietnam is the people. There couldn't be a more friendly, hospitable and congenial group of people. Their constant smiles and waves often make me forget about their circumstances. Their lack of... Or so I thought.
I feel so different already as Vietnam has opened my eyes to so much. Sitting in a carefree room in Canada and talking about how lucky I am is a far cry from sitting on a balcony in My Tho and seeing with my own eyes how fortunate I am. I hope that we can make a difference here, I hope that we can touch them the way that they have so uniquely touched us. I can't wait to build.
P.S. The food is really REALLY good.

-Fiz
- - - -

Student: Nancy
School: Stamford Collegiate

Today, we left our hotel to go near our build site. So far we have done a lot of cultural learning. We learned everything about Vietnam - - past 'till the present. Our new hotel has the most beautiful view. It woke me up from reality, I see how lucky I am to have a very strong roof to live under, while some people I see here are lucky to just have a thin steel roof with a broken door. Another difference I noticed is how our rivers and lakes are nice clear water while people here are working in water that isn't clear enough for them to see their reflections in. Today we got a chance to travel around the river in a row boat and a bigger boat. I'm looking forward to the many different things I'll be seeing... Keep you posted soon! :)

- Nancy Nguyen
- - - -

Student: Alex
School: Sir Winston Churchill

Wow, we're really here! It's hard to believe, it's almost like we're dreaming. The heat is definitely real though, and so is the rain! We all got here safe, we all feel pretty well, and we're all anxious to get to work! I hope everyone at home is doing well, and you all had a great Canada Day. I'm sure some fireworks were set off back home for us! Anyways, I should get to bed and get some rest for tomorrow! Talk to you soon!
P.S. Cass, you didn't pack me near enough Skittles...

-Alex
- - - -

Student: Emily
School: Governor Simcoe

We made it. What seemed like it would never happen is finally here and the experience I thought I'd never have is actually reality. We haven't even started building yet and already I have been moved by everything around me. Vietnam is a beautiful country and has a beautiful culture. I have fallen in love with the people, the amazing views and the food. I've got to know everyone on our team so well and it makes me sad knowing soon this will be over. Everyone has grown so close and we have made friendships that I think and hope will last forever. Everyone was chosen for a reason and I now think we know what the reason is. We are like a puzzle that fits perfectly together; without any missing pieces.
We will be building soon and I could not be happier. I am so anxious to dramatically change people's lives and for the selfish part of it - to see the happiness on their faces when we finish! It's dinner time now, but I miss everyone so much and want you to know that I made it here safely. Love you mommy and daddy (and Curt, Sue and Ashley!)

-Emily
- - - -
Student: Curtis
School: Welland Centennial Secondary

Hey everyone. First off, Vietnam is a beautiful country. You arrive in Saigon, and you look outside the airport doors and you're greeted with smiling faces, coconut trees, and a VERY warm sun. The weather is humid. Very humid. And up until this point physical exertion has not really been a factor, but we start building in TWO (2) days, so we will surely be sweating and heating up. We have taken part in a lot of fun tourist attractions, like the Cu Chi Tunnels, the War Remnants Museum, a Water Puppet Show, and lunches and dinners at various popular restaurants. Now we are changing gears. We go from the hustle and bustle of rushing between attractions, to long hard, hot days at the build site. Everyone has become somewhat acclimated to the weather, but it is a long stretch from the tolerance of the native people. I feel like we should all idolize the people here. They work and work and work for little to no pay and still have constant smiles on their faces. Anyways, I can't wait to hear from you all. I'll talk to you all later, much love to you all :)

-Curtis Stratford

3 comments:

Rick said...

Thank you everyone for the blog entries. Very informative.

Alexander: We're thinking about you daily. Your mom? Every second! Her 50th was a success. She said the only thing missing was you. Personally I don't think you were missing. Missed? Yes. Missing? No. You're right where you need to be. Behold every moment.

Promote change.

Be changed.

Dad

jordan said...

Nancy, I miss you girl. Not sure if everyone else does, but you know I do.
I hope you're having fun, learning and helping at the same time.
Miss you. Can't wait til you get back. <3

Love Always,
Jordyn Hill.
:)

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I can't wait to hear more. It sounds like such a fabulous experience. Please be safe and take it all in. Thinking of you,
Miss Watson