Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blogging: Nancy, Fiz, Alex, Curtis

Student: Nancy
School: Stamford Collegiate

Hello home.
Today was another hard working day in the deadly heat :). It was also our last day and we really worked hard. Our site got a lot done. We pretty much got all our walls done, and the floors.
The owners of the house are a really hard working family, during the break time they kept going.
"All it takes is to smile, to make a difference"
Blogging tomorrow so I'll see you tomorrow everyone!
-love Nancy Nguyen
- - - -
Student: Fiz
School: Sir Winston Churchill

Every good thing must come to an end. Today our build did, though Kevin made an interesting comment last night that made me think. He told us that we as teenagers are making a mega impact in the lives of the homeowners and their future generations.
This to me meant that we as teenagers are perpetuating the idea of striving for the best. I know that the house will be making a difference in the lives of Mr. Fung's kids and grandkids, so on and so forth. I am proud of what we have accomplished as a group. It makes me feel part of a whole, and I thank everybody back at home who donated. If only you could all see what a change it made. Miss you all, love you all, see you in three days.
- Fiz
- - - -

Student: Alex
School: Sir Winston Churchill

Today was our last day at the site. Everyone worked so hard, mostly because we didn't want to leave the family with anything to do. The only things left to be done at our site is finish the walls, and install the roof. I feel really proud of all the work we've done, and what we've accomplished. As we left today, all the kids were lined up, waving and saying thank you. I realised then that it should be us thanking them, for everything their culture and the kids themselves have taught us.
We've all become so close on this trip, growing together as people, and best friends. The closing ceremonies are tomorrow, and that will mark the end of our trip, but I know that this is just the beginning for the fifteen of us.
I love you, and I'll see you soon.
- Alex
- - - -
Student: Curtis
School: Welland Centennial Secondary

So our last build day was today, and we wrapped up a lot of our basic construction. Our floors are almost done, our walls are 6 feet high now, and the "front yard" is levelling out and will soon be covered with sand. Not bad considering we started with a foundation. I think that the last 4 days of work have been more fulfilling than any other experience in my life, and I feel so bad about it. I came here to give this family a home, not just a house, a home; and now I feel like I am coming away with more than I have left. This is not by lack of trying of course, but I have taken so much from this experience, that I will never forget this. I will write more tomorrow, but for all those at home... See you in 3 days, and I miss you all so very much :)

- Curtis

2 comments:

Rick said...

I'm certain I remember one of the leaders saying they welcome comments to your blogs, so here I am – once again.

To the entire DSBNi team: Thanks again for keeping us updated. There are many following your every entry.

I’m encouraged to read the referring to yourselves as a team. It’s amazing what you can achieve when it doesn't matter who gets the recognition.

Your “physical” building in Vietnam comes to a close. But just like a seed planted, it will continue. The lives you have touched, the encouragement you left behind, and the dreams you’ve started – will last longer than any building.

Be well.

Enjoy your journey home.

Be prepared to continue making a difference.

Anonymous said...

To mr. Alex Mills:

snitch #1 and snitch #2 miss you!
hope you're having fun and we can't wait for spicy thai when you get back. We've been waiting this entire time for you to get home so we can finally have it all together!
have fun, stay safe and glad to know you are doing well
we miss our main snitch!