Thursday, July 8, 2010

Today was our last day of working on the build sites [tomorrow is closing celebration], I can’t believe how fast it went. Even though the build was fairly short we made a lot of progress on the house. In the last week we leveled and filled the floors with sand, pulled a ton of nails, and layered pretty much all of the exterior walls about head height. It feels really good looking back and seeing the improvements from the past week’s work, even though I wish I could have done even more for the family. What gets me the most is that we’re building this house for a family that has barely anything and both neighbours on either sides have beautiful houses, with beautiful furnishings like big LCD T.Vs and stands… The variation of wealth is remarkable. Tonight we went for dinner on a boat, the food was pretty decent , but the karaoke was even better. It was so fun hacking songs for our own entertainment. In less than two days we fly out of here, I can’t believe it’s almost over. I’m going to miss everybody that has been part of the trip !!! Once again the DSBNi team is just about the best you could ask for.
Andrew P.

Today was our last day on the build site. We actually had a lot of fun together, whether we spoke Vietnamese or English, or just pointed. At one point we were all carrying bricks and the neighbours started playing English Hip-Hop, so me being me, I bursted into a full out dance, hands in the air and all. To my surprise, the construction supervisor bursted into laughter and joined me in my crazy dance, so did the home owner. Before I knew it, our whole team were bopping their heads. It was a great day.
I was really proud of my team today as well. They all worked so well and no matter how bad the job was (digging in sewage) they all had a smile on and didn’t want to stop working. I admit, it’s really hard to leave the house not finished, but it’s time we pass it on to the next team so they can learn and experience everything we did.
I’m excited to come home, but really upset to part from the family I’ve become a part of here. This team has become my heart and power to face the struggles ahead of me. For all you parents out there reading this, your kids are truly amazing, and you should be really proud of the people they have become.
Anyways, I should say my goodbyes. Friends and family, I love and appreciate you all so very much, see ya soon!
Lyndsay
- - - -

The last day at a build site half way around the world with 25 people you’ve met with every Monday for the last 8 months may seem like a sad day, but it was the most enjoyable day of all. Everyone was in a very good mood and were working well. There was a lot of laughter. Tomorrow we are visiting both build sites and I’m very excited to see ho much work the other team has accomplished. I’ve really enjoyed the experiences and earned a lot about myself and others. I feel very proud of myself and everyone on the team.
Can’t wait to see everyone back home, but I don’t want to leave this amazing place!
-Kevin
- - - -

Today was such a good day! The build site had so much progress and we all felt so good about what we’ve accomplished. The house is starting to come together and feel and look like a home. As Alex and I were tamping the floor today, we reflected on this whole experience and talked about how great it feels to do this. This has been such a rewarding experience. I couldn’t be more grateful that I got this opportunity. I think everyone should be able to participate in a home build because of the amazing lessons learned. I’m sad this trip is coming to an end, but I’m happy to go home. I love my Vietnam family and am so glad I’ve met every single person on our team,.
It’s bed time now though. Miss and love my family and friends! Thanks for all the support! LOVE! Xo
- Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We, at home, are all so proud of your efforts. To see all these teenagers give up part of their summer to sweat it out helping someone else half way around the world is incredible. I'm sure you have developed a new appreciation for the life you have back in Niagara and the need to use your talents and abilities to help others. What a great experience!

Love and miss you Emily. Can't wait to see you on Sunday. The boys and Curt say "Hi".

Mom