Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Student: Andrew
School: A.N Myer S.S

Now that we’re rolling, the “Eh” team is really making some headway on the house. Our team this year is amazing and it is an honor to be a part of it. So far on our build site we have brought in a lot of sand for the floor, pulled about a billion nails from salvaged lumber, and started laying brick for the walk. Today was really enjoyable laying brick with Paul and the mason. It felt really good looking back at the end of the day and seeing the walls we had built. It was also really nice that the construction supervisor said if Paul and I were to stay back, he would be confident enough to let us build a house ourselves. The two little boys on our site “Hip” and “How” are so cute…from when they take the fans and fan you, to when they wear the hard hats, to when they stand beside you to take a picture. They are so cute. I wish I could bring one of them home. Tonight at dinner we went to a restaurant where we were served pork ribs, chicken, and beef. It was nice to have a little bit of meat in my diet that has mostly been vegetables. Any who… I miss you all at home and I’ll see you all soon.
- - - -
Student: Dallas

School: Fort Erie S.S

Today is July 6th. We had a successful building day except I got chili pepper juice on my fingers. Besides that we are doing an amazing job. Today we got to play with the kids and the only name they know me by is ‘Hip Hop’. So whenever I want their attention, that’s what I say. We got to play a bit of hacky sack with the older kids, they love it. Yesterday we went to a school and taught young students the "beaver song". The kids didn’t know what to think. Then last night we were guests at a Cultural Exchange. We played games and danced. Everyone had a blast and liked it. I can’t wait to tell everyone about my experience.
- - - -
Student: Lyndsay
School: Port Colborne S.S

Hey everyone!

Sorry I haven’t been keeping up to date much but it’s hard to find time and I’m sure you’ve been reading my team’s blogs. Everyone’s doing so much learning and growing as people. I am loving every minute that I’ve been here and mom, you’ll be proud to know that I have tried many new things, even squid! I am starting to get home sick unfortunately, but I’m doing my best to keep my chin up and enjoy every second because I know I will never experience something like this again. We’ve been to a Pagoda, on an island and to a school with the most precious children I have ever seen. Even though they were not fortunate like others, they were happy and excited about everything. I gave out stickers to most and it gave me the best feeling ever.
Today was our first full day of working on the build site. I was suffering, but thankfully I was at the build site yesterday and realized how talented one could be at taking out nails. The family was SO thankful. I can’t even describe it. I love knowing I am making a change.
I miss everyone so much and can’t wait to see you all soon!
You’re in my prayers, much love.
Lyndsay J
- - - -
Student: Hailey
School: Westlane S.S

Since our build two days ago we are already seeing significant changes. The family that once used to live in a flooded home will now be secured by bricks and a solid floor. Although building is tiring, when you laugh, a lot of weight is lifted off your shoulders. One of my teachers once told his students that you should always laugh to have a better day. It’s true and it works. After many hours of labour work, I did not feel tired at all (despite right now), but I think I might laugh too much, but it’s not my fault. And who needs an iPod or a CD player when you’ve got The Dominator’s impeccable singing? “I’ve been working on the railroad…”, “Isn’t she lovely…”, and even “Just the two of us, we can make it if we try…” The local people here are helpful and thankfully they’re here to guide us every step of the way of the build. Anyways, I would type more but I am dead beat. Goodnight to all, and I miss everyone at home.

2 comments:

Jill said...

My Dearest Lyndsay.
I am soo proud of you it hurts. I have missed you terribly, but know that as a Mom this is in your best interests. I can't imagine anyone out there after knowing you, would not hate to see you go. Especially the kids. You have such a good heart.
Can't wait to see you. The Kimono looks great by the way.
Love you Dearly.

Ryan Elliott said...

Haha imagine that Andrew, you and the mason are getting along. I've never seen that before. Reading about the boys makes me miss the boys in the village we were in. Anyways, keep up the good work, and I expect many stories when you get back!