Saturday, July 3, 2010

Blogging- Ian, Mike, Ryan, Kevin and Alanna

Student: Ian Peebles
School: Eastdale
We have arrived at the Hong Kong airport after a long 18 hour flight. Most beautiful airport ever. The landscape is extraordinary. Now we have to fly for 2 hours to Ho Chi Minh City. Airport was plain and didn't have many sights. Outside of the airport we met the rest of the crew, and our bus driver, with the bus. The heat was different, bearable but hot. Half an hour later we arrived at the hotel, four stars. Rooms are amazing and there is a pool on the roof. We then went for dinner, food was great, tried everything. Next day we cooked; spring rolls, chicken and soup. It was an awesome experience. Later we went to the the Emperor Pagoda, WOW. Then a water puppet show, which was the best puppet show I've ever seen. Dinner on a boat was one of a kind. The tunnels we went to the next day were awesome. The food here is great except the rice. The heat is getting worse.
-Ian
- - - -

Student: Mike Petrini
School: Laura Secord
I must start off by saying that it is really hot. However, with that being said Vietnam is a very wonderful place to be. There are many people here and in the four days that I've been here, I haven't seen an unhappy person. They treat you just how you want to be treated. They always smile and say hello. I find that Vietnamese people are very kind and hard working. This is a wonderful place, excellent food! (I don't want to leave) Kindest people you will ever meet, wonderful places to see, and it's never cold! An example of a nice person was today when I was getting my things to the elevator, this kind man took my bag from me and carried it there, then assisted me down the stairs and asked where I wanted the bag. Or today when a lady was selling rice hats, I bought one and she helped me with trying it on and getting the ribbon to fit correctly.

Yes, we are building houses, but two houses aren't nearly enough. The team is a great one. We all get along and joke and have good times together. I believe this is a must to build houses. We all have reasons for doing this and we as a team want to help. I'll leave off with this statement. We, as with most people in the world take a lot of things for granted. We are never truly happy because "we want things". Most Vietnamese people don't have a lot and they are happy, next time you want something just think that these people will probably never see it or what you own. They work just for the food for that day. So ask yourself, do you really need that? Will it really make you happy? Or will helping others make you happy? Don't take things for granted like clean drinking water aka sink water or eating food you don't like everyday. I know I won't.
-Mike
- - - -

Student: Ryan Kroeker
School: Eden
The moment we stepped out of the airport doors I could not believe how many people there were and how many vehicles there were. The amount of motorcycles in the city was even more! I'm having a great time here. It is a lot of fun, the food is good, the hotel,is very nice and it is a huge adventure everywhere you go. The views on top of the hotels are so cool too. Everything is going great here, hopefully everything is going great at home too.
-Ryan
- - - -

Student: Kevin Johnston
School: A.N. Myer

Our journey finally started. Although the beginning was not what I expected. It was like going to Toronto, but with a lot of mopeds. Now that we are in My Tho, I feel as though going to Ho Chi Minh City was a huge stepping stone for the team. We were able to all adjust to the culture and get an idea of what's here in My Tho without such a big culture shock. Also with our first sharing circle, on top of the hotel by the pool, I think that everyone is starting to realize what this is all about. This has already been the experience of a lifetime, the whole team is already coming closer and more comfortable with one another. Building the houses will better our experience and make everyone realize what they have. In my eyes that is the real experience of a lifetime. Good morning Vietnam! Missing everyone at home, but hope you're still having fun without me ;)
- Kevin
- - - -
Student: Alanna
School: Grimsby

I think I'm still in shock. This life changing experince that I have been counting down the days for, since December is finally here. Arriving in Vietnam, was incredible. It was dramatically different than walking out onto the streets of Grimsby. The sudden wave of heat, the extreme amount of people everywhere, the astonishing number of scooters honking and driving in every direction and the hydro wires tangled up in massive bunches hanging above pedestrian's heads. But the most incredible thing that I have seen is the unbelievable amount of kindness in everyone's hearts. The people are extremely hardworking and passionate in everything they do here; whether its working in the rice fields, selling produce in the market or smiling and waving as you walk by. Ho Chi Minh City was a great place to adjust to the amazing culture of Vietnam. Our Vietnamese cooking lesson was great along with shopping in the market, the water puppet show, Chu Chi tunnels, War Remnants Musuem.

After leaving the city life behind today as we moved to My Tho, we all realized it didn't give us a true understanding of what the majority of Vietnam truly is. Our first day here in My Tho has been amazing. We took a boat on the Mekong River, stopped at a small island that produces fruit and honey for the mainland. Traveled by horse-cart through a jungle seeing many people living in and with next to nothing. It amazes me that the people living in such harsh conditions look happier then most of the people at home. Sampans took us through the heart of the river, it was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. After having a nice lunch looking over the river, we traveled back to the mainland and arrived at our hotel. Our hotel is really nice, it looks over the whole city and the Mekong River. I have throughly enjoyed every second of this experience and I can't wait to spend the next week here building.
Love, Alanna

6 comments:

Francie said...

Hi Alanna,

Your Mom sent me the blog site. Viet Nam is so incredible sounding. I love the way you are capturing your experience and your notes about the people brought a tear to my eye. Your writing is so vivid, we can just picture it. I'm really glad the trip is going so well. I hope your arm holds out for you. The girls say hello. Laura is still not great, but hopefully improving. Take care. Love, Francie or Auntie Francie if you prefer xox

Dawn Peebles said...

For Ian

Gramma, Grampa, Mom, Dad, Mitchell and Kurtis are all together at Holland Centre and send our love and best wishes. Sounds great what you are experiencing - so happy for you. |Keep giving! Love you lots

The Smyth Faily said...

We are so very proud of you Alanna but we missed you this Canada Day at the cottage. We anxiously await the blogs as they are posted and read each entry aloud, trying to imagine the scenes before your eyes. What an adventure! We cant wait to see the pictures and hear, first hand, about all of your adventures! Missing you like craxy!!
Mom, Dad, Evan, Megs and Crash xxxooo

Scott said...

Kevin we are very proud of you and what you are doing. We loved what you wrote it brought Elizabeth to tears with you grasp on what you are there for. We miss you and look froward to the return of the a very knowledged Kevin
Dad, Elizabeth Kyle and Trevor

Alanna Smyth said...

Awe thanks so much for everything Francie! I miss you all and tell the girls I say hi too. I hope too see you really soon, can't wait to tell you everything about my trip! Thanks you too and I hope Laura gets better really soon. Love you too Auntie Francie xoxox

Thanks guys! I wish I could have been there at the cottage for Canada and Evans birthday. I can't wait to see you guys, to tell you even more stories and show you all the pictures the amazing sites here! Miss and love you like crazy too! xoxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Mike,

i am so happy that you guys are making such a difference. everyone here is so proud of you guys. i agree with the taking things fro granted thing as well. i cant wait to hear all the stories and see all of the pictures :) i hope everyone is well and everything is going well. be safe guys. glad you are having a great time :) <3

-Jaimi