Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blogging: Emily, Nancy, Alex, Fiz, Curtis

Student: Emily
School: Governor Simcoe

If I saw a man working outside where I lived, there’s no way I’d go out and help him- no questions asked. But here, the neighbours see us working, and they pick up a shovel and join us. The kindest people they really are.
One of us said this today on the build site and it really struck me how lazy and selfish I feel. Being a teenager I am constantly looking for things to benefit myself, not others. Today I realized that must change.
Grandma and Grandpa Stewart- I hear you are reading our blogs daily so I wanted to say hello and that I love you very much. Keaton and Aidan- I miss you a lot and hope I will see you guys as soon as I’m home. Love and miss you lots Mommy and Curt, Daddy and Sue!
- Emily
- - - -

Hello Loved One’s ;3
Today was a full day for me, while yesterday was a sick day for me. Today at the work site we got some of the wall up and we did the floors and pulled nails out of wood to re-use for the house. We also brought small gifts for the two boys that live by the house, Hip and How. Seeing the huge smile on their faces was a very good feeling. Back at home, we kids always wanted the big fancy toys but these two boys had little toys we got for them and they were so happy about it. It shows us how spoiled we got while there are kids here who are happy with just a small toy.
“ You don’t have to be rich to be happy.”
When a stranger we don’t know gets sick, we usually don’t ask how they are or anything, but here I notice that they care when they don’t even know you. I got sick yesterday with a headache and all the workers in the hotel asked me how I was and if I needed anything, and they were so caring towards me when they don’t even know a thing about me.
“ You can be a stranger, to care for a stranger”
I miss you lots and love you with all my heart:)3

- Love Nancy Nguyen
- - - -
Student: Alex
School: Sir Winston Churchill

Well, another full day of work is done, and the house is looking really good! I did a lot of shoveling and transporting sand from the road to the site today. I found that the sun was really draining my energy today, but we all took frequent breaks and got lots of work done! We had a great opportunity to make some new friends today. About ten of the local kids came out and watched us shovel dirt on the road. They were all very shy until we brought out the frisbees and hacky sacs! We played with them for a while before lunch, trying to explain the rules of games via hand gestures. After lunch they came back and wouldn’t leave us alone! They were helping us shovel, riding in the wheel barrels, and even dancing in the streets. We all had so much fun. It’s a really cool thing that even though these kids don’t speak a word of english, we were able to communicate through smiles, high fives, and a lot of laughter. Well we’re about to go for dinner so I should go, I love and miss you all at home!
-Alex
- - - -
Student: Fiz
School: Sir Winston Churchill

Praise god it rained!! Today was the first of our build days blessed with heavenly showers I have never appreciated rainfall so much in my life.
This seems to be the usual pattern in Vietnam. It’s the little things, like rainfall, a clean toilet, and a roof that I have come to appreciate so, so much. I’m grateful and all, for every little thing and every single person, because it all matters; everything counts. Did you know? I didn’t before I got here. Being truly grateful was easier said than done back at home, but now I truly see with every part of my being,that we all matter, things all matter. IF you make the life of just one person easier by smiling at them, shaking their hand, or helping to build their home, you will enhance your life in the process. Miss you all at home!!!
- Fiz
- - - -

Student: Curtis
School: Welland Centennial Secondary

So short and sweet today, just like me! Today was also much hotter than yesterday and it rained. Tomorrow is the last build day, so that means our trip is coming to a close. I cannot believe we are going to be leaving these amazing people, but I also miss and wish to be home. In any case, I will see you all very soon. Love you all very much, especially my family, and my ever loving girlfriend :)

-Curtis

3 comments:

Rick Mills (and Mom) said...

Alexander - thank you so much for submitting to the blog. Many family and friends are following. I'm feeling for you and the team as your work comes close to ending. There will be difficult feelings to manage.

Remember son,

Let mercy lead
Let love be the strength in your legs
And in every footprint that you leave
There'll be a drop of grace

So... leave drops of grace.

Dad

vanhoffen studio said...

Hey Alex:
Just wanted to say hi from the Van Hoffen's. The Lord is blessing you and your team out in Vietnam. May your last days there be filled with energy and excitement for the changes in you all, that you may keep that forever inside of you. When you come home, you can bring what you have learned there, to be used here too!!
Hope to see you sometime this summer to hear all about your experience.:)
Blessings to you and your team. Hi to Mitchell also from the Van Hoffen's

Kaley said...

DSBNi Team,

It is so encouraging to watch you grow and learn through this experience. I absolutely love hearing how the children have effected you (must be the teacher in me). I've always struggled with being able to make concrete memories - what I mean is that experiences come and go and I forget so quickly. As I shared this with a friend one day, she shared a tool she had learned. Pretend you have a camera and during a special moment that you don't want to lose from your recollection, take a "mental picture" so that you don't lose it. Stop. Look and absorb. A simple thing, I know. But it worked for me. Maybe it's an innocent child sitting in a wheelbarrow, maybe it's seeing a finished wall you built. Whatever it is, take that picture and remember - so that when you come home, the memory is as fresh as a picture. Wishing you many "pictures" as you spend your last days in Vietnam creating life-changing memories.

Kaley (Alexander's sister)