Friday, July 9, 2010

Final Blog: Nancy, Fiz, Alex, Emily, Curtis

Student: Nancy
School: Stamford Collegiate

Hello Canada, and goodbye Vietnam. Today is the last day. This experience was a really amazing one. It has made me a lot stronger, which now makes my Viet-name make more sense - "Thuy Duong" - "Strong as a wave". Not only has it made me strong, but it has helped me understand my mom a lot more. Her stories of the past are no longer stories, they're real. "Your mom will always be your best friend."
This trip wasn't just about making a difference, but making a new family. I'm going to miss this DSBNi team a lot, because I have grown to love them as a family. "Strangers become family when you have no other."
Goodbye Vietnam

Thank you to all the leaders for taking us, and mostly I want to thank the Habitat leaders, without them this trip wouldn't be this amazing :)

P.S. See you Sunday morning Mommy and David. Love you lots.
"You don't have to be perfect to change the world."

- Nancy Nguyen <3:)

Student: Fiz
School: Sir Winston Churchill

No more I's, no more me's, no more feeling sorry for myself, no more feeling sorry for other people. Things could always be worse, somebody will never have it as good. A good friend once told me not to sweat the little things. It has officially become my mantra.

Life is not going to be easy, it's not supposed to be. There are always going to be obstacles to overcome, wether it be not having adequate living arrangements, or not always fitting in. It is not about that. I know that. If one truly knows who they are, and is self-assured, and driven, they can accomplish anything. Mr. Fang showed me this by working gloveless, and often times shoeless on the build site. Despite his circumstances he showed that he was proud of what he had, and overall was very grateful for our help.

I will never forget him and his wife, her prideful face today at the closing ceremony. It makes me sad to leave Vietnam; but I am so thankful that I was able to come, I have learned so much about myself and my teammates. I feel like now I can grow, as an adult. Now I see, I am open, to every and anything. I don't believe in discrimination, I want to experience everything. I am no longer afraid of new things, and per that, I feel I can be a better student, daughter, and friend to all. Thank you everyone for organizing this experience. I don't think you realize how much you have taught me. Thank you Mom and Dad, for teaching me to be strong and to believe in myself. I know now that I can. And thank you Ola for being the best sister in the world and teaching me to always keep an open mind. I love you all.
-Fiz

Student: Alex
School: Sir Winston Churchill

Well, here it is, our final blog entry. We concluded our build today with two emotional closing ceremonies. Each site had their own ceremony, but they both shared the same types of feelings. Everyone was feeling accomplished in what we've done, but equally sad to leave such inspiring people behind. We've all been affected by these families in one way or another that has inspired change in each one of us.

We left our country as different people, who wanted to change lives in another country. Here we are, two weeks later. Our lives have been changed, and we're returning home as one big family.
- Alex

Student: Emily
School: Governor Simcoe

I'm sad to say it, but our trip is finally coming to an end. This has been an unforgettable experience and I feel like I've grown so much. These people and this culture has taught me a lot and I'm glad I'm going back to Canada with these lessons I learned. I couldn't be happier knowing we improved someone's way of life. More than one person. We helped everyone who lives in those two homes. What an amazing feeling of pride and accomplishment.
I'm so proud of myself, but I'm also so proud of our whole team. Everyone has noticably grown incredible amounts. I have made SUCH amazing friendships with everyone. I'm going to miss this whole experience and everyone who participated.
I know I will be coming home with a new attitude, appreciation and outlook on my life. This trip has been eye opening and has made me realize how lucky I am.
Thank you to all of our leaders for being not only hilarious and entertaining, but also comforting and caring. You've made this experience so successful.
See you soon Mom and Dad, family and friends and loved ones.

- Emily

Student: Curtis
School: Welland Centennial Secondary

So this is it then, the final blog. I just want to start off by thanking everyone on the team. There have been ups and downs, but I am very happy to have met and spent these last few days with you all. Kevin, Ryan, Ian, Dallas, Mike, Alex, Mitch, Alanna, Lyndsay, Hailey, Emily, Nancy, and Fiz; you have each made an impact on me, and for that I thank you.
To our leaders, thank you for guiding us to a success in this, our mission to help. You have all done a great job leading this trip, and once more I cannot thank you enough for this opportunity.
To the Habitat staff who worked with our team on the build site, Mr. Chanh and Huong; thank you for being so patient with us.
Last but certainly not least, Miss Xuan. You made this trip worth while, and although personally we didn't have much contact, through the experience you have given us I can only begin to imagine what an amazing individual you are. You are doing great things for this country, and I would be blessed to work with you again some day.
I know this blog is long, but being the last, I figured it should be worthwhile. This trip, I believe, has changed me. I cannot begin to express how thankful I am for being part of this. As we depart, I am very excited to see my friends and family back home again, but I also wish I could stay and see our build through. This nation has so much to offer if you just take the time to see past the exterior. Vietnam, and more importantly Habitat for Humanity, are two things I would recommend anyone taking part in, in life.
See you all back home in a few days, and thank you for following.

- Curtis

No comments: