Friday, July 9, 2010

The end.  I can’t believe it’s here, it’s come so fast. The past 10 days have been great. The team couldn’t have been better. It has been some of the most enjoyable days spending them here with you. The Habitat closings were really nice and I enjoyed going to the other build site to see what the others have done. It was great playing with the kids for the last time, even though it was hard to say my final good bye. It was nice to see how much the family appreciated all our efforts. I wish we could have done so much more for them though. The country of Vietnam is beautiful, and I have been very inspired with all the actions that I have seen taking place in this country to better itself in the future; because of all of the things, I would like to take a second trip to Vietnam in the future. Anywho I should go before I bore you with more random thoughts… have to finish packing before we leave tomorrow.
- Andrew Petheram
----

The closing ceremonies were today, and it was very emotional for many. Fifteen different kids travelled here on the far side of the world, and one family is returning. We have come to enjoy each other’s humour and company, and saying goodbye is not a happy prospect. Back to good news though, the families were over-whelmed about the houses and even had watering eyes when they said their goodbyes. As our venture comes to an end, it is with great pride that I say, it was a success on so many levels. I can’t wait to fill people in with details. See you all soon.
- Mitchell Dellemonche
----

Today we had the building ceremonies. They went very well except for when everyone had to say bye, it was by far the worst part of the trip. Everyone got certificates for their appreciation. I can't believe the trip is over. We just got here and I have been waiting since October 8th (from when I filled out the application). I don't know how things are going to be between everyone. We all live so far away and have become so close.
- Dallas Marriott
----

Goodbyes are difficult, and man, are tears ever hard to hold back. I have seen amazing places, ate delicious food, and met beautiful people. There was never a day during this trip where I felt depressed (‘til today). Every day was a good day. Prior to this trip I was not aware of how much this trip was really going to change me, but unknowingly, after reflecting back, I did change. For the week that we were at the build site, I have come to realise that my clumsiness has improved. It may sound funny to you, but I never really took a second look around me, I would frequently break things, and bump into things. I was careless towards the little things, but being here has shown me that little things also has its significance - and to always be aware of your surroundings. I’m glad that gender didn’t matter on the buildsite. There was no “Hailey, you can’t carry the wheel barrow because you’re a woman”, instead it was “Hailey, you can take a break you know” (laugh). It felt nice.

My perception on different things have also changed. I guess you can say the way I think has been enlightened. Not a lot of people will see what I have seen, and not a lot will have experience what I have experience. So yes, I am fortunate to have this opportunity and to be a part of such an amazing DSBNi team. It’s just depressing that when I’ve finally become pro at bricklaying, we are leaving. It sure would have been nice to stay to finish the build. I’d stay for the full 56 days to finish the house if I could, but I just have to face the fact that the departure date is set for tomorrow (sigh). Although the buildsite is incomplete, in the Closing Ceremony, the homeowners had tears filled with appreciation, but I am more grateful to them, for their hospitality and their gratitude - I have never seen someone sweep so much in one day – sorry for our mess.

I will never forget the sights that I’ve witnessed, and definitely won’t forget the people that I’ve come across. I’ve taken many photographs throughout this trip. Pictures may be standstill, but will definitely bring lasting memories. This trip will hopefully end in a good note when we arrive safely tomorrow. Thanks to all who’ve helped me with everything for and during this trip.

Love, Hailey Dang

P.S. I'll be home soon.

1 comment:

Rhonda P. said...

It is so difficult to read your blog posts without tears of my own. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to say good-bye to the families and friends that you have made on the habitat build. You are an amazing group of students & leaders!!! You have learned so much in a short period of time but these life lessons will stay with you forever.

I am so very proud of my son Andrew for taking on this challenge as well as each and every one of you that participated in the build. Thank you to all of the leaders that kept our children safe and gave them this exciting opportunity. Have a safe trip home everyone and we look forward to your arrival on Sunday!!!!!!