Friday, July 9, 2010

Blogging- Ryan, Kevin, Ian, Mike and Alanna

Student- Ryan

Today was another great day because it was work site closing day. Although we didn't get all the stuff done we wanted, we still accomplished a lot. We took pictures and said our goodbyes. We started off by going to my worksite and then went to the other teams site for lunch. I'm having a great time and I will be home soon!

------------------

Student- Kevin


For so long we've been waiting to have this experience, and now it's all over. There were many smiles and a lot of laughter. The most important things were; the things we've learned about ourselves and how everyone had developed individually and as a group. The fact that we've helped two families in need and inspired others to get involved with programs like Habitat is also a big part of this experience. I'm very happy I could be a part of this, but I am sad that it has come to an end. I would like to say thank you to my family, friends and everyone who has suppported me in my journey to Vietnam. Can't wait to see everyone.



-----------------

Student- Ian


Yesterday was the last day at the build site, everything had gone well so far. I had to dig a hole for the bathroom with two other students. We had to go through three inches of rubble, one inch of concrete and five inches of sewage. Then another inch of concrete. In the end it turned out nicely. At the end of the day, all of the walls were five feet high. And the floor was tamped and leveled. Today, we had to say goodbye to the familes, and the kids. It wasn't easy for anyone to say goodbye. After working on a house for four days, we made many friends, that will never be forgotten.



----------------

Student- Mike

Vietnam! What a great place to be! The weather is hot, sometimes rainy. The food is just amazing. The people are so friendly, you will always get a smile or a 'hello' from them. Vietnam just grows on you, they do many diferent things here, like delivering sand or bricks on a bike as an example. We accomplished what we came here for, we all have a better understanding for things. I, myself, have learned a lot; not only how to do things differently, but also how to communicate with a language barrier. I will miss seeing the family and the children. This experience made me think about who and how I am. I'll appreciate what my parents do for me and thank them for it. We came here thinking we were helping a poor family. In fact we didn't help a poor family, we helped a family in need of a house.



I'd like to greatly show my apprecation to Miss Xuan, the Habitat cordinator. If it wasn't for you this would not have happened. Thanks for being our translator and a fantastic singer for us.

Thank you Mr. Cuong, our construction supervisor, you made things safe - - you showed us what to do and motivated us when we needed it.



Mike, Kevin, Paul, Collen, Carrie, Tyler, Jill, Cairine and Andrew, Thank you for being our leaders and showing us what to do, for taking care of us and being there for us, but most of all thank you for believing in us.

I'd like to thank a few people that helped me get where I am now. Thank you Mrs. Karen Simpson and Mr. Gregory Staples for presenting this opportunity to me and supporting me through it.

Thank you to everyone who donated, family and friends and everyone else that got me here. Your donations went to great use.

Thank you Jaimi Thomas for all of your support, helping me fundraise and thinking of ideas, being there for me and most of all putting up with me.

Most of all Thank You Mom and Dad for everything you have done for me, thanks for the support and believing in me. I wouldn't be where I am without you two, I Love You both greatly.



-------------

Student- Alanna

This entire experience has been absoultley incredible. Being in Vietnam has opened my eyes up to see everything in a new light. I have been truly inspired by this trip, to do so much more for others and to inspire others to partake in a simliar experience. For once in my life, I am almost speechless. I knew that this trip would change my life, but I had no idea how great of an impact everyone on this trip would have on me. The amazing friends that I have made here will stay with me forever.

I want to thank everyone; the leaders and students on this trip, everyone I have met here in Vietnam and everyone who is supporting me at home. This once in a life time experience would not be the same without you. Today was our final full day here in Vietnam, I can't believe that this trip is almost over. We had our closing ceremonies at both build sites today, and we had to say our goodbyes to the extremely thankful homeowners. Just looking at the passion and thankfulness in the homeowners eyes, is more than enough to make this trip worth while.

The hardest part was saying goodbye to the children at our build site. Over the past few days, I developed such a close bond with the children. It might be hard for most people to understand, given that we don't speak the same language, but that didn't stop us. Playing and spending time with all the children, was the highlight of my trip by far. I made friendships with them that I will treasure forever. I will never forget them or the impact that they have had on me.

I will truly miss everyone that I have been spending my time with here. You have helped make this trip even better than I ever could have ever imagined. I love you all so much and I will never be able to thank you enough. To everyone at home, this is sadly my last blog here in Vietnam, since we are heading home tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see you guys, I love and miss you all tons!

No comments: